Twenty percent of all crimes in the United States are auto thefts. A car is stolen every 33 seconds, every day of the year. Most vehicles are stolen because it was easy to do so; 80 percent of vehicles stolen are left unlocked and 42 percent had the keys left inside.
Here are some tips on how to protect your vehicle and valuables:
- Don’t leave valuables in your car. Even small items such as loose change can be tempting to a thief.
- If you must leave valuables in your car, lock them in the trunk before reaching your destination.
- Lock your car doors and close your windows.
- Never leave your car running unattended.
- Don’t hide keys in your vehicle.
- Park your car in a garage or well-lit area.
- Consider installing a car alarm or anti-theft device such as a steering wheel bar lock or an engine disabler switch.
If you have an after-market stereo, take it with it with you when you leave the car.